Thursday 24 October 2019

Figure it out

This week I have made another figure it out about adding fractions and comparing fractions I have made a google doc about it.

Figure it out: Getting to fractions

1 - The Hohepa and McLean families are both driving from Morrinsville to Whakatane. Both the McLean and Hohepa family cars’ are one 20th of the journey apart (8 km). The way I did this was by simplifying the fraction from 120 to 12 and after that I found out that 8 was a key number in this equation being 8 x 15 = 120 and 8 x 16 = 128 and the whole journey is 8 x 20 = 160.

2 - Kim, Tim and Vim go shares in a startup technology company. Kim puts up 2⁄5 of the money, Tim puts up one third and Vim puts up the rest. How much of the company should Vim own? Vim should own nothing because ⅖ + ⅓ = 1 whole so really Vim should own nothing!


Did you like it? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it was a good blog but why did you choose this topic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Imogen, I chose this topic because in our class lately we have been doing equivalent fractions so I thought it would be good to do some more of it. Again, thanks for the comment!
    - Rhys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rhys, Great blogging! I think you should have another look at that Tim, Vim question. I put them both over fifteen...
    Check in with the rest of WHetu and see what they got. Mrs G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mrs Gully, I might have to take another look at my post. Thanks for the positive thoughtful and helpful comments!
    _ Rhys

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.